Members of the Riverside BIA may be eligible for grants through the City of Toronto’s annual Commercial Facade Improvement Program. These grants provide financial assistance to property owners and business tenants to improve their commercial and industrial buildings and properties, and in doing so enhance their appearance, functionality, safety and competitiveness in a rapidly-changing economic environment.
What is the Commercial Façade Improvement Program?
The Commercial Façade Improvement Program provides funding to commercial and private property owners to redesign, renovate or restore commercial or industrial building façades (exterior). The eligible improvements include, but are not limited to, brick cleaning, restoration, wheelchair accessibility, doors, signage, windows, lighting and masonry.
What are the benefits?
Improving the appearance of your building’s façade shows that you care about your property. In addition, your neighbourhood streetscape is improved. This provides a more welcoming environment to work, shop and live and complements the overall BIA improvements being put in place within the streetscape.
How is funding calculated?
Half of the cost of eligible improvements to commercial or industrial building façades is covered and will be based on the lowest contractor estimate submitted with the application. Please visit the City of Toronto’s website for updates on grant amounts.
Who is eligible?
- You must be the property owner or have the permission of the property owner
- Your building must be located in a Business Improvement Area (BIA)
- You must not owe outstanding taxes to the City
- You must not start your improvement project before the funding application is approved
- You must have not received the maximum façade improvement funding for your property in previous years.
How do I apply?
- Contact the City’s BIA Office to determine eligibility: 416-392-1005, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete and submit application form (available from the City’s webpage)
- City reviews the application
- City approves or declines the application
- City issues funding cheques to successful applicants upon completion of the agreed-upon work
Note: The Riverside BIA maintains a list of contractors to help assist in your application – please contact email@example.com
Click here for answers to commonly asked questions. Many of these and other questions are answered in the application package. Please contact the program administrator – Michael Saunders for more specific & detailed answers to these questions.
“We are excited about making this investment in our building, and appreciate the contribution that the City of Toronto has made through its Façade Improvement Program. Baird MacGregor is committed to the Riverside community.” ~ Philomena Comerford, CEO of Baird MacGregor Insurance Brokers LP