- This event has passed.
CIC Kids’ Chess Club
October 22, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:00pm on Monday, repeating until December 17, 2018
All levels of chess players are welcome. Beginners will be gifted with the universal language of chess knowledge, while advanced players will be challenged and raised to new levels. While learning or expanding their chess knowledge, students also gain important values and life skills such as:
- goal setting
- creative analysis
- respect for others
- responsibility for decisions
These skills are gained through our approach to chess as a mental martial art, where choosing a move means:
- taking wise, calculated risks
- dealing with unexpected and disappointing outcomes
- reflecting critically on changing situations
- looking deeper to find more viable options than may at first appear
- valuing diverse abilities and skill sets
- realizing there are choices in every situation
As this strong, respectful and resilient mindset is nourished, players will have a lot of fun with our experienced and engaging instructors, who will appeal to and elevate their natural abilities. Chess is an amazing activity for children of all ages, where focus and skills are gained with surprising speed.
- Chess Club will be held on Mondays from 6 to 7 pm
- at the Ralph Thornton Centre (765 Queen Street East)
- starting on October 15th for 10 weeks until December 17th
- and is open to children ages 6 to 12.
- The cost of the program is $150 and funding assistance is available .
To register, please visit https://chessinstitute.ca/register and click on the “Chess Clubs” option. Select ‘Toronto’ as the city, ‘Private’ as the school board, and type in ‘CIC’ into the school name field.
Please feel free to reach out to CIC Operations Manager Marcus Wilker (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions and he will be happy to help you.