Despite the rain and sleet that drove us away much too early, we can count this year’s Light Up Riverside (Nov 26th) event as a grand success. It was amazing to see the Mustard Seed Courtyard packed with smiling faces, and lovely meeting and catching up with so many of our neighbours and friends.
Here are some highlights and THANK YOUs :
- BIG THANKS to our 2016 Light Up Riverside sponsor and longtime BIA member Baird MacGregor Insurance LP! CEO Philomena, Dylan Luft and the team were on hand Saturday to meet & greet. This event would not have been possible without their support!
- THANK YOU to our ever amazing hosts at Mustard Seed – Sister Gwen, Leanne, Derrick and the team – for welcoming us to their wonderful space
- We lit up the beautiful 16 foot real tree which will grace Riverside and the Mustard Seed courtyard until January
- Thanks to BIA Board member Michael of BMO for delivering welcome remarks on behalf of the BIA
- We were happy to have this opportunity to recognize our stalwart volunteer (our ‘Riverside historian’) Barry Slater with the Jack Korman Award, presented by our BIA Chair Mitch‘s young daughter (3rd generation of Riverside BIA!)
- Our always supportive local politicians, Councillor Paula Fletcher, MPP Peter Tabuns and MP Julie Dabrusin, came out to meet & greet.
- We had a visit from Santa (thanks Paul Stone!!) and lots of great photos – thanks to Giancarlo from PAWELEC photo for braving the weather until the end.
- The Toronto Beach Chorale warmed us up with their always beautiful voices and stayed with us through the rain.
- Thanks to The Opera House Grill for donating hot chicken noodle soup and Tabule for their amazing Moroccan mint tea
- Big thanks to I’ll Be Seeing You Bar for making a special effort as the official Light Up After Party location!
None of this would have happened without the support of our many volunteers from George Brown School of ESL, as well as our BIA Marketing Committee, BIA office staff, and interns. You are all super stars!!